Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pediatric Oncology

Pediatric Oncology

Hello,

Nice to greet the pediatric forum.

I am approaching my nursing programs final quarter's required internship.

Luckily for me I got the internship I requested, Pediatric Oncology.

Gennaver

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Pediatric Oncology

One of my classmates just couldn't 'do' that type of work; he'd been ill as a child, and the subject hit too close to home. It takes someone special to do it. Thanks!

'Cat'

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    One of my classmates just couldn't 'do' that type of work; he'd been ill as a child, and the subject hit too close to home. It takes someone special to do it. Thanks!

'Cat'
    Hi Cat,

There was a time for a few years when I had to leave health care to figure things out. My own empathies were causing me distress.

When I left health care I missed it and came back only to wax and wane a couple more times.

So far I feel like nearly every single area I've worked in as an uap, (med/surg, oncology, ortho, cardiac, phys rehab and women's health) I have really liked. Although the most physically demanding was the ortho/rehab!

Now I consider oncology very special and honored to participate with these patients, (be they palliative or aggresive treatment patients).

I hope I do them right!
    Gen

Member Extraordinaire

I work in ER now, but was a pediatric oncology nurse for several years before switching to ER. It is a very rewarding but very demanding job. You get to know the patients, their families, their friends, & siblings. Remember, these kids will be coming in every other week or so for 6 months to a year, and if they are having a bone marrow transplant or have complications, they can end up staying for months. When they get better & come back to visit, it is so, so great, but when they don't get better, it is so, so hard. I had to leave because i just got burned out on it. When you find yourself attending several of your patient's funerals a year because you've grown so close to their families, it gets to be too much. I hope that it goes well for you- just make sure you take care of yourself emotionally, & give yourself time to "decompress" after your shifts, and, as hard as it may be, try to leave work at work.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    I work in ER now, but was a pediatric oncology nurse for several years before switching to ER. It is a very rewarding but very demanding job. You get to know the patients, their families, their friends, & siblings. Remember, these kids will be coming in every other week or so for 6 months to a year, and if they are having a bone marrow transplant or have complications, they can end up staying for months. When they get better & come back to visit, it is so, so great, but when they don't get better, it is so, so hard. I had to leave because i just got burned out on it. When you find yourself attending several of your patient's funerals a year because you've grown so close to their families, it gets to be too much. I hope that it goes well for you- just make sure you take care of yourself emotionally, & give yourself time to "decompress" after your shifts, and, as hard as it may be, try to leave work at work.
    Hello Amanda,
    After my hospice experience I never imagined that I would have requested to work in oncology, (which I did after 8 years had passed).

In my hospice experience I attended a very difficult funeral for me, of a patient whose family and friends I grew attached to. After the eight years or so had passed I was so grateful to find a way to share that special sense with patients and their families, of respect and dignity, and appreciating it for what it is.

I do not think I will attend funerals again, not likely, yet, if I do, I will.

It is not possible to leave it at work but, it is wise to keep it in perspective.

Your words are appreciated.

Gennaver

I too am leaning towards pediatric oncology. While I haven't gained any clinical practice, I was an oncology patient as a child and it was my aspiration at that time. Of course during every clinical experience in school I changed my mind, but as my schooling is coming to an end I think that this is where my heart is set.

The worst part however though is the discouragement from others. "That would be so hard..." "Do you think you can handle sick and dying children?" "I can't bear to see children get sick" and so forth. What people need to say instead is "That's wonderful! We need more people like you."

Quote Originally Posted by acapitosti View Post
    The worst part however though is the discouragement from others. "That would be so hard..." "Do you think you can handle sick and dying children?" "I can't bear to see children get sick" and so forth. What people need to say instead is "That's wonderful! We need more people like you."
    Hi,
    I am sorry that they cannot share the joy you feel from such a "giving" field as peds onc.

I found that working in oncology actually gives me so much more than working in med/surg or ortho!

Maybe a good way to answer these "tsk-ers" who say "how can you handle sick and dying children" is to say, "Because I think they deserve care respect rather than to be shunned and it isn't about "me" it is about them."

Or maybe,
    "well its a good thing that I wasn't your patient then!"

Or how about,
    "Then good, we don't need people with THAT attitude, yet, you do not know what you are missing, there is more joy, hope and enthusiasm with these sick children than you will ever find in med/surg...or wherever...with your equally or more sad adult patients..."

Good luck, I am sure that you will bring much to your patients and feel much in return.
    Gen

Hi i'm new to this site and i'm happy I came across this topic. I'm looking to become a nurse and would like to get into pediatric oncology. I've told some health care professions about wanting to get into this specialty and i've only been told "don't do it" or it's something they would never do.... just constant negativity. I think anyone that says dont do it is just, how can I say it politely... is just dumb. These kids need and are entitled to the best care possible and i just can't believe how people actually discourage. I think if someone feels they can do it, then why not?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Welcome to the site!

All I can say is perhaps they are aware of their limitations. One positive thing about nursing: something for everyone.

True!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast