Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legal Nurse Consultanting..Is all that it is hyped up to be?

Red face Re: Legal Nurse Consultanting..Is all that it is hyped up to be?

Hi!
    I haven't posted for awhile, because I've been really busy as a CLNC. To answer some of your questions-- A CLNC may work for a specific attorney as an employee in his/her office. The disadvantages are that you will most likely make similar wages to what you make in a hospital setting. You still have to "punch a time clock". Your life still is not your own. However, for someone who needs a change and benefits (ie: health insurance, contribution to retirement, paid time off etc) it is an option.
    As far as attorneys being unwilling to pay "top dollar", I have a couple or responses. Initially, I located a testifying expert for a hesitant attorney for no fee so he could assess my work. I did ask for a letter of recommendation from him. This was really beneficial. Also, I had a small display at the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association seminar in May. At that time I issued discount cards for $200.00 off one case screening. Since that is only 2 hours of my work, it wasn't much of a loss. Attorneys need to be educated as to all the things CLNCs can do for them. We do more than organize charts, which any one can do. I have 30 services to offer. At the beginning, attorneys usually will want you to do just medical chronologies or narrative reports to "check out" your work. Follow up with each attorney is the key. Ask for critque and suggestions.
    One must be willing to be enthusiastic and project that enthusiasm about the time and money you can save the attorney. TIME and MONEY savings are what they understand. Why should they hire an MD to screen a case for merit at a rate of $500+ dollars, when they know virtually nothing about NURSING issues? We know nursing and $100.00 is a whole lot cheaper.
    In conclusion, no attorneys will come knocking on your door, begging for you.
    They have to know what YOU CAN DO FOR THEM and that you EXIST to save them TIME AND MONEY. A lot of the marketing to develop clients involves EDUCATION of attorneys!
    Hope this helps!

Re: Legal Nurse Consultanting..Is all that it is hyped up to be?

I have been a successful LNC for over 4 years now, so successful that I have subcontrators working for me. I am not a CLNC as I took another course that was better than the Vicky Millazo course, I thought and I have the same knowledge.
    Many programs offer certification. Attorneys do not care if you are certified or not. They want you for your clinical expertise and clinical certifications. However, if you do attend a program that offers certification be sure you ask how long the certification lasts and how you would recertify. In most cases to recertify you must shell out more money to attend classes again - not through CEUs.
    Also be aware that there is an nationally recognized organization - AALNC or American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants that is sanctioned by the ANA, which sanctions all the other professional organizations. AALNC also offers a certification similar to CCRN, CEN, etc. It is a more widely recognized certification. If you are interested check out their web site. I am sitting for the AALNC certification as I believe it provides me with better preparation and credentials.
    One thing you must remember is that once you complete the training - do not give up your day job. It is a long and difficult road to success. I have friends who paid > $6000 for a course and have not worked a day as an LNC. To be an LNC you must have excellent marketing skills, as you must market yourself to attorneys for work. You also need a business plan, office space, and there are a ton of decisions to make regarding working independently or in a practice. You have to be extremely organized and very attentive to the smallest detail because there are laws you must abide by that you are not taught in school.
    Yes this career can be very fullfilling and rewarding, but if you are not willing to put the time into doing it right then you will be wasting your money.
    President of SK Smith Consulting - a nursing business for legal nurse consulting, authoring, and lecturing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12