Thread: Nurse News - Nurses Take Shots At 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'House'

nursebot

Post Nurse News - Nurses Take Shots At 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'House'

... By Nurses GroupGroup Releases Lists Of Best, Worst Nurse PortrayalsPOSTED: 9:20 am CST January 3, 2006 ... far this season, and a nurses group doesn't like half of them ...

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?r448940775

Re: Nurse News - Nurses Take Shots At 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'House'

I still like the show E.R. tho!

This is very true! However, I still enjoy some of them AND... perhaps nurses should make a TV show that depicts real life!
    J. Smith, L.P.N

Used to watch the old ER, but not any longer. Now the only medical show I watch is SCRUBS. My g/f who is RN loves Grey's, but she normally will catch the incorrect stuff before I do. She just likes the plot lines.

There's actually some work being done by a group dedicated to changing how Nurses are portrayed in the Media. They are doing some interesting things to help change the perception of RNs to the general public.
    Read up on their efforts here:
    Changing the Media's Portrayal of Nurses

Hate "Grey's" because of ther "soap opera" that goes with it. I kind of like "House" because of his irreverence to everyone.
    Neither show is ethical in their plot or method. I gave up on any shows that are medical related (except House) because I hate plots that take weeks to solve and medical methods that are bad or wrong.

I've been a member of The Center For Nursing Advocacy for several years now and feel that they are trying to help improve the image of nursing in the media.

However, it seems like it is an uphill battle when it comes to how we are portrayed by the media. There are numerous TV shows out there about doctors; but very few (if any) give a true picture of what nurses do. I don't think there has ever been an accurate portrayal of a nurse either in a movie or on TV; even most of the medical documentaries on TV don't show what nurses do on a day-to-day basis!

Are we so powerless that our very work doesn't matter to the general public; or is it that our very work shows too much of the frailties of being human?

I've never seen an entire episode of Grey's Anatomy but I love the scrubs!

House on the other hand is very interesting....I am fascinated by the "unusual" and rare diagnoses and their diagnostic elimination. Of course the side stories give it a little schmutlzie overtone...but it's all fiction and often funny.

I have known a few MD's who have simialr House personality traits, sans the constant use of Vicodin so overtly.

Wouldn't it be so awesome to be able to be able to diagnose and treat so many obscure diseases, syndromes, ailments.

Be well y'all
    Judi