Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PBDS-Help!!

PBDS-Help!!

I am taking an ICU position in January & the hospital uses PBDS testing. My experience is ER & Surg/Trauma ICU and I am terrified. I have heard only horror stories about this test. Has anyone taken this test & have any advice? I am going to Colorado from SC and don't want to get stuck 1500 miles from home if I can't pass for some reason. Help! :eek:
    :rolleyes: "Real nurses are too busy saving your butt to kiss it!"

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: PBDS-Help!!

I would say do your best, and remember: the test itself uses multiple videos which are shown in short segments and the whole THING is based on the MEDICAL MODEL. Kinda strange, as this is out of our scope of practice. I am wary of the test as a true tool to test competency in Nursing employees.

'Cat'

I have not taken it, but have heard it is used to weed out travelers. Supposedly not what it was meant for. What does your agency and contract say if you "fail" this no fail test?

Will they find you another contract? Are they going to charge you?

Member Extraordinaire

I also have to take this test in a few weeks and am scared to death- I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I did find someone to e-mail me a study guide, which I can send to you, if you like. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Also, keep us posted on how you do!

i would boycott any facility that uses this testing. You already passed your boards.

Took PBDS for ICU and passed. It was the most grueling test I have taken in my life. I took it on computer & the flashing red time warning box nearly gave me a panic attack. The information is basic nursing knowledge, but it wants you to be very specific. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Good luck to everyone else that has to take this horrible test!
    :rolleyes: "Real nurses are too busy saving your butt to kiss it!"

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

:houra: Congratulations, ROBIN! :houra:

'Cat'

Member Extraordinaire

I took the PBDS 2 weeks ago, and passed- I had been freaking out about it because everyone on every borad I read was saying how it was this awful, horrible thing. Yes, it took a long time, but really, it wasn't all that bad. It's common, safe, medical & nursing knowledge. If you know enough to have passed boards & take good care of your patients, keeping them safe, then you should be able to pass this exam. The whole purpose of the exam for travelers is so the hospital doesn't have unsafe nurses working there. If you do not possess the basic knowledge needed to pass this exam, then you are a potential danger to patients. Really- it's NOT THAT BAD! The worst part about it was how bad i psyched myself out because of all the horrible things people told me. Just go with the confidence that you have the knowledge required to do your job well- remember your ABC's, and always err on the side of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    If you know enough to have passed boards & take good care of your patients, keeping them safe, then you should be able to pass this exam. The whole purpose of the exam for travelers is so the hospital doesn't have unsafe nurses working there. If you do not possess the basic knowledge needed to pass this exam, then you are a potential danger to patients. Really- it's NOT THAT BAD!
    So all those nurses who've had 10,15, 20 or more years experience that "failed" this no-fail test don't have the basic knowledge needed and are a potential danger to the patients? Is that what you are saying? And I suppose those who passed at one place and "failed" at another, are unsafe at the place they failed?

I passed boards years ago. I don't need to take a "test" of this sort. This test is being used as a tool not intended by the makers. I agree with others, I refuse to take it. There are plenty of facilities who do not use it.

Member Extraordinaire

What i am saying, is that based on the scenarios presented in the version of the exam I took, if a nurse is not able to recognize EMEGRENT conditions, such as chest pain, transfusion reactions, or CVA symptoms, and the interventions required to treat these conditions, then yes, they are a danger to their patients. I understand that the test was not meant to be a "pass/fail" type test, but in the case of travelers, unfortunately, that is how it is used. It's your choice to refuse to work for hospitals that require it, but thats not an option for some people, and it's definetly not going to stop hospitals from using it to "weed out" travelers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast