Thread: What nursing field for me?

What nursing field for me?

OK-- in May I'll be out of nursing school with my associate's degree, and I can't figure out where I'll fit in the profession.
    My situation is a bit unique: I've been a podiatrist for nearly 30 years. Figgered it was time to do a little work above the ankle for a change
    So far, I'm loving nursing school and all the clinicals. It's looking at medicine from a whole other viewpoint.
    What I really love is patient interactions, educating and counselling, and developing lasting relationships with patients. I still have some podiatry patients that were in my practice when I took it over in 1977!
    What I'm NOT crazy about is floor nursing type stuff: changing IVs, doing meds, keeping track of I/Os (feh!) etc. Not that these things gross me out or anything: I just don't enjoy them that much.
    So far, I've done time in Peds, Ob/gyn,psych (locked unit), and med/surg in neuro and cardio-pulm. Also visited MICU-- don't think I'd care much for treating all those unconscious patients! I love talking to my people.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Oh, since I closed my podiatry office and moved in with a group of other podiatrists I'm starting to enjoy my profession more and am considering doing that a couple of days per week, so I'm thinking of some nursing field where I can work part time. Thanks. E-mail would be appreciated too. Paul

Ricu

Re: What nursing field for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerpaul View Post
    OK-- in May I'll be out of nursing school with my associate's degree, and I can't figure out where I'll fit in the profession.
    My situation is a bit unique: I've been a podiatrist for nearly 30 years. Figgered it was time to do a little work above the ankle for a change
    So far, I'm loving nursing school and all the clinicals. It's looking at medicine from a whole other viewpoint.
    What I really love is patient interactions, educating and counselling, and developing lasting relationships with patients. I still have some podiatry patients that were in my practice when I took it over in 1977!
    What I'm NOT crazy about is floor nursing type stuff: changing IVs, doing meds, keeping track of I/Os (feh!) etc. Not that these things gross me out or anything: I just don't enjoy them that much.
    So far, I've done time in Peds, Ob/gyn,psych (locked unit), and med/surg in neuro and cardio-pulm. Also visited MICU-- don't think I'd care much for treating all those unconscious patients! I love talking to my people.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Oh, since I closed my podiatry office and moved in with a group of other podiatrists I'm starting to enjoy my profession more and am considering doing that a couple of days per week, so I'm thinking of some nursing field where I can work part time. Thanks. E-mail would be appreciated too. Paul
    Hi Paul,

It really sounds like you would be a great Nurse Practitioner. With your prior background, I imagine that it would be a relatively smooth transition. Functioning as hospital staff or in private practice, as an NP, you would have ample opportunity for interaction, counseling and education. I don't know how much actual nursing work you would have to do prior to entering the program and I'm sure it varies from school to school but, it may be something you would like to learn more about.

Good Luck,

R

NP sounds good, but my degree in may will just be an Associate's . I'd have to get a BS, then the NP. I wouldn't mind, but I'm 56 already and by the time I finished I'd probably be over 60. Still, ya never know...
    Any way to get an NP online?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Hi, Brewerpaul! Have you considered Wound care? The reason I ask is, I was doing some research on Wound Care, and found that Wound/Ostomy nurses now have an option to Certify in Foot and nail care: Wound Care Certification - Foot care certification; foot and nail care True, one needs a BSN, but you know as well as any of us the importance of foot care!

Good luck!

'Cat'

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerpaul View Post
    NP sounds good, but my degree in may will just be an Associate's . I'd have to get a BS, then the NP. I wouldn't mind, but I'm 56 already and by the time I finished I'd probably be over 60. Still, ya never know...
    Any way to get an NP online?
    Hi again,

An ASN would get you started in nursing for sure, but don't you have a DPM? It's possible that there is a statute of limitations on the credits but maybe not. Either way, once in the field, you would certainly be able to focus on patient education especially disease specific like diabetes. You would be able to do the BSN online and maybe some postgraduate nursing degrees in admin but I don't think you could get an NP that way

R

Thumbs up Re: What nursing field for me?

Sounds like a lot of good ideas are coming in for you to consider. You might need to work the floors before you find your real love in nursing, and it might even take a while. Hope you enjoy the posts you receive. Good luck and keep it fun. Sincerely