Thread: I'm thinking about taking the course

I\'m thinking about taking the course

I have thought about becoming a nurse consultant for years, just never had the courage to go for it. Does anyone have any experience? Which classes are recommended? Which companies that offer the classes? What is the demand for legal nurse consultants in your state? Is it really worth all that money? Thanks for any input.

Anonymous

Re: I\'m thinking about taking the course

I believe those who teach the classes make more money telling others "how" to make money at LNC than they do as LNC's. And yes I did take the course in Houston..
    At the time I was gung ho on it..Can you say "AMWAY"

Most attorneys are not gonna share the pie. Many states have capitation laws that limit lawsuits etc. Believe it or not. And many have reported that they have just gone into an attorney's office and offered to review charts as an "in". No "formal" education.

I believe it depends on your state more than anything.

I'd check with several law firms to see what the market is..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Hello Laura,

I'll agree that there are a lot of starving legal nurse consultants out there, and a lot of hype surrounding the courses.

I would not go so far as to say there is no work for nurses as consultants.

The main thing attorneys want from you is your nursing experience and ability to pick apart a chart to tell them if the can make a case or not.

Will having a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant (CLNC) or Legal Nurse Consultant Certified (LNCC) certification help? Of course it will. Is it absolutely necessary, I don't think so. I've been contacted by nurses that were hired by attorneys strictly because they were ICU or ER or some other type of nurse that was needed for a particular type of case.

To get a feel for it, I'd subscribe to a few of the free listserv discussion groups that are networking forums for LNCs. You can learn about the day to day trials/tribulations there.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.legalnursingconsultant.org

There are also a lot of colleges now offering LNC courses through the college of Nursing. Where are you located?

Re: I'm thinking about taking the course

Carrer Builder named legal nurse consulting as one of the
    Hot Jobs of 2007.

You have to do what you enjoy. If you really want to be a legal nurse consultant, and are willing to work harder and smarter than the competition, you will succeed (as with anything).

Red face Re: I'm thinking about taking the course

I took Vickie Milazzo's course in August. I am still waiting to get my first client. If you do it, do it with her course. we could aslo network with each other.

Exclamation Re: I'm thinking about taking the course

I am curious, according to her information, you should have had offers. Which course did you take? the basic? or VIP? because you should have had a mentor. How hard was the exam? Did the course prepare you well for it? I understand that you have to promote yourself.... I live in Washington, and have not heard to much. I may e-mail the president of the Legal nurse's association and try to get more information. I am very interested but the course is a large amount of money.