Thread: LTC Nursing forum - This forum is for nurses

LTC Nursing forum - This forum is for nurses

working in Long Term Care. Please post nursing discussion related to LTC in this forum.

Re: LTC Nursing forum - This forum is for nurses

Hi all, I work as a restorative nurse coordintor in a LTC facility. Any and all suggestions for fall prevention are appreciated. Thanks!!!

Fall prevention is a sticky topic. We cannot use restraints to a certain degree anymore...lower beds and mattresses on the floor seem to reduce falls out of bed; but there is no answer to the falls related to ambulatory residents who are just simply unsteady on thier feet. I know even in the hospital settings, because I have worked in all areas; it is a constant challenge. We started putting orange wristbands on patients and residents who were at risk for falls; this was supposedly to alert staff to keep and eye on these people and make frequent rounds. But when you are challenged with staffing...this is not always possible. I know I personally make rounds every 30mins to and hour on those who have a tendency to climb out of bed, or not sleep much...but by the time a typical 12 hour shift is over, I am exhausted from running up and down the hall all night. I will say that making frequent rounds is about the only thing that has helped me prevent someone from falling. Sometimes I will go sit near the room or in the room to do my charting in order to keep an eye on someone. It is definitely a challenge. Good luck.
    ruby43

Oh yeah, one more thing....when I go to a nursing home or rehab center ( I work with agency, so I work in many places)...I make walking rounds as soon as I get there; sometimes even before report....because many falls and mishaps occur during that critical window between shifts. Again...it is time consuming...but it has saved several residents from getting hurt, because someone has actually put thier eyes on them during that change of shift window.
    ruby43

Quote Originally Posted by ruby43 View Post
    Oh yeah, one more thing....when I go to a nursing home or rehab center ( I work with agency, so I work in many places)...I make walking rounds as soon as I get there; sometimes even before report....because many falls and mishaps occur during that critical window between shifts. Again...it is time consuming...but it has saved several residents from getting hurt, because someone has actually put thier eyes on them during that change of shift window.
    thanks i will use this tip. we have that problem. esp when staff challenge which is most days but that is a whole other whine
    ~I Battle the Angel of Death 40 hours a week. What do you do? ~Author Unknown~

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I also copied Ruby's post(s) to the Nursing Tips Forum. Thanks for the reminder, LivingDead!