Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Made You Decide To Start Your Own Business

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What Made You Decide To Start Your Own Business

In my case, it was a desire to spend more time with my wife and newborn child. I discovered that with my own business, I could earn enough to stay home more. Initially I made enough to stay home an extra day a week, then two and so on.

Here are what some other nurses have to say on why they started their own Nurse-Owned businesses.

Andrew Lopez, RN

What made you decide to start your own business?: To have more control of my work hours.

Kathryn Spilker RN, BSN, LNC, Lifeline Medical/Legal Consulting L.L.C.:"As Legal Nurse Consultants, we use our nursing experience, and knowledge of legal issues in preparing cases related to health care issues. Screen cases for merit, prepare chronologies, summaries, timelines and analysis of the medical records. Identify standards of care, causation issues, locate experts, research and review medical data and literature. Assist attorneys with all aspects of discovery and trial preparation. The success of your medically related cases relies on qualified, detailed, and accurate assessment of the facts.
    3034 Ridgetop Ct., St. Peters, Missouri 63376
    E-Mail: educate5@verizon.net
    http://www.nursingentrepreneurs.com/spilker/

Re: What Made You Decide To Start Your Own Business

What made you decide to start your own business: I can Do As I Choose And My Income Is Limitless!

Slovensky Trisha RN CCRN LNC, Texas:"Medical-Legal Consultant, Medical Bill Analysis, Testifying Expert."
    Specialty Areas: Critical Care, Medical Legal Consulting, Medical Bill Auditing, Expert Witness
    http://www.nursingexperts.com/slovensky/

Like Andy, I LOVE being my own boss, working in my PJ's and being home with my kids.

I put in 25 years as a Charge Nurse and Medical Fraud Investigator, so I figured NOW it's MY time! We vacation (even if it's a mini vacation) every 2-3 months and can vacation all summer if we choose.... ALL business write offs..

Linda/CMAS, BS, RN

What made you decide to start your own business?: A desire for independence. Opportunity to use my nursing education and background in a creative and innovative way. I needed to be able to work from home.

Donna Maheady, Ed.D., ARNP, ExceptionalNurse.com:"A resource network for nurses and nursing students with disabilities. We provide links to disability related organizations, mentors, employment opportunities, financial aid, continuing education, books, equipment, legal issues, research, related articles as well as support and career counseling.
    13019 Coastal Circle
    Palm Beach Gardens, Florida 33410
    Phone number: (561) 627-9872
    http://www.nursingentrepreneurs.com/exceptional

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

I decided to start my own business after 18 years in bedside nursing.
    My business is marketing dental and medical discount plans .
    The healthcare crisis in this country is horrible and this gives me an opportunity to help others while making money..

I needed more freedom and I wanted to control my own hours.
    I am currently working parttime in addition to my business, but my goals are to eventually leave bedside nursing completely.

Phyllis

What made you decide to start your own business?: I like the idea of being my own boss.....I want to "work smarter, not harder."

Teddi Nuss, RN, Mid-South Litigation Support Services:"We use our knowledge and experience to help attorneys de-mystify the medical issues in legal cases. We provide screening for merit, medical record review, interpretation and organization, time line chronologies, case summary, medical literature research, and written reports (on paper and/or disk). We collaborate with attorneys to develop a cost effective and winning aproach to the medical issues in their cases."
    http://www.nursingexperts.com/nuss

What made you decide to start your own business?: I started my LNC business after being contacted by a defense attorney regarding a physician I worked for. He was being sued for malpractice. After reviewing the chart I notified the attorney of several glaring discrepancies between the documentation and the patient's claims. The physician beat the malpractice suit and the attorney said, "you should be an LNC" and I said, "A WHAT?" and the rest is history.

I started my custom embroidery business because God was good enough to match my talent and my need to find something constructive to do after my accident with my knowlege that a lot of nurse entrepreneurs want nice, professional items but can't afford huge orders and big fees. Win win!! Yea God!

Dorothy Lowry, RN, Wild Women Sewing Consortium, Georgia Nurse Entrepreneurs:
    Gifts For Nurses, Accessories, Custom Embroidery, Logo items
    http://www.nursingentrepreneurs.com/lowry

I decided to start my own business because I am sick of someone else being in control of my time and how much money I earn. Not to mention all the abuse.
    I am an Independent Associate for Prepaid Legal services and I just love it. I will not only make money for myself but help others as well. The company is rock solid and I am on my way.
    Noel Reeves, RN
    www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/nreeves

What made you decide to start your own business?: I have worked for an agency off and on for 10 years and finally decided I did not want someone taking a cut of what I made.

Patty Olson, RN, BSN, MBA, Independent RN Services, Wisconsin Nurse Entrepreneurs:"Independent contracting to hospitals. Specializing in ER and ICU."
    http://www.nursingentrepreneurs.com/olson

What made you decide to start your own business?: Desire to retire from bedside nursing and seek financial freedom

Kim Markuly, RN, Living Well Solutions:"Consulting and marketing business focused on true prevention with Wellness programs, products and services. Customizing and integrating proven Wellness programs for a wide range of healthcare providers, clinics and businesses interested in promoting health and preventing disease."
    5001 Spring Valley Road
    Dallas, Texas 75088
    markuly@nursefriendly.com
    livingwellsolutions.net
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/markuly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast