Thread: Starting recovery

Unhappy Starting recovery

Finally I found someone who is going to help me with detoxing without the BON finding out. I took leave from work so I can focus on me and avoid any harm to my patients. I start detoxing on friday and I"m scared to death about the withdrawls and of course I'm already making up excuses as to why I need to wait until another day. I would appreciate any prayers out there.
    Thanks.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Starting recovery

Quote Originally Posted by KKRN1014
    Finally I found someone who is going to help me with detoxing without the BON finding out. I took leave from work so I can focus on me and avoid any harm to my patients. I start detoxing on friday and I"m scared to death about the withdrawls and of course I'm already making up excuses as to why I need to wait until another day. I would appreciate any prayers out there.
    Thanks.
    Good for you, I will add you to my prayers and ask my friends and my support group of nurses in recovery to pray as well. So if you feel a powerful force from the direction of So Cal know that we are here and on your side.

You are making a very positive and important first step in recovery. Detox can be uncomfortable but if it's being medically managed it's not so bad. I did it and as a recovery nurse I've helped many get through it. It's also very important to get connected in the recovery community with NA meetings, get a sponsor and start working the steps.

If you need support you can usually find me here or at the MED Friends in Recovery web group where I see you are a member. Keep the serenity prayer close to your heart and in the words of a new song on the radio.......

If your going through hell, just keep going, don't look back if your scared don't show it, you might get through before the devil even knows your there.!

Peace and Namaste

Happygr8ful
    Happy sober and free 23 months,17 days, 10 hours and 42 minutes........but whose counting.

Re: Starting recovery

I blew it....the day the doctor called me to set up my appt for subonxe discussion/admin I was in the car with my father and couldn't call so he just set up the appt and told me to not take anymore dilaudid past 4pm yesterday, 24 hrs before my appt. I did great until about and hour ago....18 hrs has alway been my limit when I tried to detox on my own. I don't know if its mandatory that I have 24 hrs clean before he treats me. Since we couldn't talk he wasn't able to tell me how things work. I"m still going to my appt with the hopes he can still treat me but if not at least i can set up an appt that is around 18 hrs after I stop taking the drugs. I know its suppose to be hard,withdrawl that is, but at 18 hrs I start with the vomiting, and cramps and and I"m scared to death i'm gonna go into seizures. I hope that 18 hrs is good enough to be able to start treatment especially if he won't let me today. I won't give up, I'm ready to get clean.The with drawls are my biggest fear but I know that once I get thru that I can stay clean psychologically.:Life is just too damn short to let a drug control it. I don't enjoy it anymore so its time for sure. I'm rambling and I"m sorry, but your a 'captive" audience.....LOL

I have been clean seven months from a three year Vicodin addiction. Getting clean was the hardest thing I ever did, but staying clean has been the easiest. My body took a real toll from the narcotic. I now feel great and would'nt take the med if it was put in front of me. Looking back, I see how erratic my mood swings were while I was using. I finally feel sane again and you will too! It is so worth it! I am finally getting my life back and health too! Go for it!!!!:banana:

Quote Originally Posted by KKRN1014 View Post
    I blew it....the day the doctor called me to set up my appt for subonxe discussion/admin I was in the car with my father and couldn't call so he just set up the appt and told me to not take anymore dilaudid past 4pm yesterday, 24 hrs before my appt. I did great until about and hour ago....18 hrs has alway been my limit when I tried to detox on my own. I don't know if its mandatory that I have 24 hrs clean before he treats me. Since we couldn't talk he wasn't able to tell me how things work. I"m still going to my appt with the hopes he can still treat me but if not at least i can set up an appt that is around 18 hrs after I stop taking the drugs. I know its suppose to be hard,withdrawl that is, but at 18 hrs I start with the vomiting, and cramps and and I"m scared to death i'm gonna go into seizures. I hope that 18 hrs is good enough to be able to start treatment especially if he won't let me today. I won't give up, I'm ready to get clean.The with drawls are my biggest fear but I know that once I get thru that I can stay clean psychologically.:Life is just too damn short to let a drug control it. I don't enjoy it anymore so its time for sure. I'm rambling and I"m sorry, but your a 'captive" audience.....LOL
    Congrats on making the decision to begin the journey of recovery. Detox is a small part of recovery. In addition to NA/AA are you going to seek treatment? Addiction is a bio/psycho/social DISEASE. It's not about lack of willpower or lack of morals or "screwing up". Unfortunately, nursing programs provide little, if any information about the disease of addiction. They seem to continue to focus on the physical effects of substance abuse.

Here are some links to information regarding the disease of addiction. Recovery is a lifetime commitment taken one day at a time. Addiction is a chronic, progressive, disease that is fatal if untreated. Recovery is a collaborative effort with others also in recovery. Attempting to recover alone rarely works. We need each other to maintain a clean and sober life. If you work at it, recovery will change your life in ways you never even considered possible.

The Disease of Addiction

The Role of Genetics in Addiction

NIDA: Addiction is a Chronic Disease

Treatment Works

If I can be of any further assistance just yell!
    Jack
    Peer Assistance Advisor
    Ohio
    Peer Assistance OSANA
    "Addicts aren't bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well."
    Yes, I drew this picture.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]