Thread: Becoming an LVN

Becoming an LVN

Hey guys,

Im new to the nursing field, and i was interested in becoming an LVN then transferring over to an RN. Im here for advice and guidance to accomplish my goals. What is a good start?

Re: Becoming an LVN

What state are you in?
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

If you're in California (or would like to be), check out Summit Career College: LVN Nursing Program, Licensed Vocational Nurse, Anaheim, CA & Colton, CA. I hear they have a good LVN program.

Smile Re: Becoming an LVN

Quote Originally Posted by TheCloser View Post
    Hey guys,

Im new to the nursing field, and i was interested in becoming an LVN then transferring over to an RN. Im here for advice and guidance to accomplish my goals. What is a good start?
    That's exactly what I'm doing, and so far, so good. I graduate in two weeks, and will start the RN program in May so long as I get in. I love that I'll be able to work while going to school to be an RN. On top of that, there are a lot of places that will help me pay for my education if I work for them, which will save me a lot of money. LVN school in Texas only takes a year, and then it takes another year to bridge over. I also think that bridging gives you an advantage over the RN student. Some say it's better to just go straight through, but I think LVN-to-RN is great.

Good luck!

Hi
    If you are planning to start a nursing career, becoming a licensed vocational nurse will give you the right start. As a career choice, the LVN career is very rewarding, and as a stepping-stone to registered nursing. Right now there are plenty of career opportunities for LVN, or licensed practical nurses. Nursing is a field that is constantly in high demand. Currently nursing homes offer the greatest number of opportunities for LVN. Do u need more guidance Please visit http://www.imededu.com/.

Unhappy Re: Becoming an LVN

I live in Northern New Jersey and there are basically no opportunities for LPN's here. I start LPN school in August and am second guessing it every day. I check the job boards all the time and have been for the past two months. I think I found 2 LPN jobs and both were in a nursing home. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place??

Smile Re: Becoming an LVN

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn674 View Post
    I live in Northern New Jersey and there are basically no opportunities for LPN's here. I start LPN school in August and am second guessing it every day. I check the job boards all the time and have been for the past two months. I think I found 2 LPN jobs and both were in a nursing home. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place??
    Even if you have a hard time finding work as an LPN, the advantage of being able to access LPN to RN nursing programs is a good opportunity. I think it makes getting the LPN license worthwhile in itself. You might want to get a CNA certificate and work as a CNA while in school. I was hired by the long term care facilities where I worked as a CNA when I got my nursing license. Helps in getting a job. Good luck with school.

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    Even if you have a hard time finding work as an LPN, the advantage of being able to access LPN to RN nursing programs is a good opportunity. I think it makes getting the LPN license worthwhile in itself. You might want to get a CNA certificate and work as a CNA while in school. I was hired by the long term care facilities where I worked as a CNA when I got my nursing license. Helps in getting a job. Good luck with school.
    That is exactly what I am doing. I finish my certification in about 3 weeks. There seems to be a lot of CNA positions around, many more than LPN. I'm just apprehensive because my school is very expensive.