Thread: false positive for tramadol

false positive for tramadol

I've been monitored by the Recovering Professionals Program in SC for three years and seven months and I recently had a drug screen come back positive for tramadol. I didn't take any tramadol and I have no idea how it showed up in my urine. I'm waiting for results of the GC/MS confirmation. I'm completely paralysed with fear that I may lose my license. It would be a travesty of justice if I do. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and what the chances are of losing my license. Do you think they would allow me to have a hair analysis done to prove my innocence? Thanks

Member Extraordinaire

Re: false positive for tramadol

I was not aware that there was a urine test for Ultram- It's not even a narcotic, so I'm not sure why it would matter even if you were taking it......

Thanks for your reply. This has been the worst Christmas ever for me. Not knowing the outcome and being falsely accused. I was a coke addict not pills. If I liked pain meds, I waste enough dilaudid, morphine, and demerol to get high all week I presume. I'm tired of beating myself up over something I didn't do. Thank you so much.

I was a drug tester for the military back when they first started routinely testing. This has long been a topic of interest to me as I was directly involved in ending the careers of more than a few friends who tested positive. At that time one of our big concerns was false positives caused by prescription meds, OTC meds, dietary supplements and foods such as poppy seeds. According to our training these can and do occur but the GC/MS was supposed to be able to distinguish them and provide an accurate result.

Search the web and you will find all kinds of posts on this topic, however imho most of what you will find is b.s. Here is a website that does appear to be factual : Drug and Alcohol Test Q&A

I did a quick search and didn't find much on tramadol, but there are some interesting posts on hair testing.

Well, I got my confirmation test result back and it was negative. Thank God. Now I'm going to begin a quest to find out how the first test was positive. I don't want anyone else to have to go through what I did. Thanks for your replies.

what a horrible experience this must have been for you!. I'm glad it was resolved fairly quickly. I hope others will see your post and remember to give the benefit of the doubt!!

enjoy your new year!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Unhappy Re: false positive for tramadol

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    I was not aware that there was a urine test for Ultram- It's not even a narcotic, so I'm not sure why it would matter even if you were taking it......
    By way of intro - I am in Diversion in CA currently in Transition and counting the days- I also work in a psych facility where we treat a lot of people with addiction issues.

While it's true that Ultram is not a narcotic it is a potent analgesic with a very high potential for abuse. I have seen patients who take 50-60 a day and report a narcotic like effect. Since in many hospitals it is not counted it has a high potential for abuse among nurses with addiction problems- There are many things that the diversion boards test for that normal drug screens don't cover- Benedryl is one which just happened to be one of my main drugs of choice. Dextromethorphan is another sold over the counter as coricidan many people report that in large enough quantities the effect is similar to heroine.

What they test for is sort of a secret but for those of us tested we take nothing for granted - Just one cup of vanilla flavored coffee can show up a consumed alcohol.

peace and Namaste

hppy

I tested positive after changing a patients fentanyl patch. How could this be possible? Will they believe me? T took off the old one, bathed her and put on a new one. Anyone ever hear of this?